Monday, June 18, 2018

Physiotherapy for Hip Replacement


I went to an assessment for Physiotherapy at the Reh-Fit Center in Winnipeg last week. It was a good experience and I will be going for my first group session on Tuesday. She took a thorough history and is aware that I do have asthma,  high blood pressure issues and that I do not have equal strength on both sides. I have a bit of a wonky gait from "before" but apparently everyone with severe enough issues to need a joint replacement has gait issues, so that is something else that will automatically be addressed! Yipee😊! She checked my incision which is not fully healed and said we will continue to keep an eye on it too. She sent me home with a new and improved list of exercises.

About a year ago the government started doing an overhaul of health care services. One of the cuts was the post-hip and knee surgery outpatient aftercare. The departments were closed. The physio departments remained in the hospitals for inpatient care but staff layoffs occurred.

Since that time the health authority has continued to support the pre-hab clinic. They are giving education prior to surgery to have people as ready as possible for surgery and have the best outcomes. I will post a link at the bottom of this post for more information about the hip/ knee clinic. They have a lot of very good videos about joint replacement but I would draw your attention to a video of the exercises they recommend doing during for the time you are waiting for surgery. I think it would have benefited me to have started them years ago!

http://www.wrha.mb.ca/prog/hipknee/index.php



The physiotherapy and occupational therapists in the hospital assess if you are safe to leave for home before discharge and they review a few of the exercises that were to have been practiced before the surgery. You are to exercise at home but the set they give you is not looking at your specific needs nor does it show how to increase and changes the exercises as you grow stronger.
They give you a prescription for further private physiotherapy but then it is in your hands.

Many people do not have a insurance beyond that of our Canadian public health care system. I have very minimal work-related health insurance.  Physio for me is largely an out of pocket expense.

Many others have been in the same situations. I am youngish for a hip replacement and many seniors older than me live on limited incomes and will not have as much help as they need to get as full a recovery as possible.

The Reh-Fit center is very conveniently located about a mile from my home and is a lovely space with great resources and highly trained staff. I have known several people who have been referred there post heart attacks and they can't say enough good things about the services. It has a charitable status and a fantastic reputation but is at a higher cost than many other places around the city.

The Reh-Fit Centre is more than a fitness centre. We provide an environment to help individuals achieve and maintain health and wellness. We offer individual and group options for exercise, nutrition, and education through a team of certified health and fitness professionals. Expert guidance from professional personnel, innovative health enhancement programs, and the integration of medical, rehabilitative, and fitness services all are delivered in a clean, service-oriented environment.
                                                                                     http://www.reh-fit.com/about-us/

The Reh-Fit Centre has been offering post hip and knee replacement programming for members who are 6 months or more post surgery for a few years now. I noticed several months ago, after the withdrawal of our hospital-based rehab, that they were offering a knee replacement program for the immediate post-surgery period but not for hips. After I got home from the hospital an ad popped up in my social media feed about the new hip program so I called them up.

They launched the new program in mid-May!  They do not require membership and they enroll people between 1 and 2 weeks post surgery. I just plain old got lucky with this one! They do an initial assessment by a physiotherapist for about $70 (possibly covered by your private medical coverage) and then you can continue with weekly group sessions with a physiotherapist, a kinesiologist and possibly a volunteer. The groups can be up to 10 people, last an hour and all this for only $20 a visit.
After they feel you are no longer benefitting from this program they will encourage you toward other programs to help with your continued improvement.


We will see how this all goes tomorrow!








1 comment:

Rebecca Dutton said...

RehFit is such a blessing. I see rehab as a partner who launches me towards a better life - not a service that fixes my problem and then the work is done. Your posts show you will make the most of this blessing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...