Sunday, January 30, 2022

I'm Hoping For a Better Year


Welcome back to my Blog!


I have been stalling about writing this post but it is time to update you about how I am doing and try to get back to the fun and informative stuff. It's time to get back to Leading a Healthy Life! I am busy thinking up projects to keep me busy until spring. Easy, low-energy projects. Any suggestions? I promise to share regularly!


What is Happening Lately?


We have been working on decluttering our house, which has really gotten away from us, especially this past year. We are trying to figure out new ways of looking at all our spaces, belongings and at our many collections. It will undoubtedly lead to a few little home repairs. 


I am also working on my general health, but I am primarily working on controlling my weight. After a lifetime of serious weight issues, I was doing pretty well last summer and I felt optimistic. Unfortunately, in the past 3 months, after breaking my second hip, my weight has started climbing up again, so it's time to really focus on weight loss again.


I usually tend to be kind of private about my weight issues and clutter issues. Still, sharing might help me on my journey and perhaps help others struggling with similar problems. 


I am making progress with my hip recovery, so I am currently sorting out my return to work plan. Exercise had been hard despite encouragement from my physiotherapist and I do have a ways to go in my recovery. Still, I love my job and I am even more passionate about Therapeutic Recreation.  I believe work accommodations will be possible. I should find out soon.


My Miserable Year and Catching Everyone Up.


I have not really coped well with this past year. I consider myself a relatively resilient person, but I think that somewhere in the past 6 months, we found out the limit of my reserve. I realize everything could have been much worse. So many people have experienced enormous tragedies over the past couple of years. We are all doing better at my house, and our family is in good or improving health. I can walk, and I am grateful for that. Life is starting to look up a bit. 


It is a year and a month since I rather dramatically dislocated my artificial hip. I thought of so many worse-case scenarios in those first hours and days after my injury until they managed to get the hip prosthesis back in place. I was given the hope that three months in a hip brace would allow me to recover and that I would be back to my everyday life by March. 


Then it partially dislocated again briefly! I thought I would have a repair surgery shortly, but it was months. Then I thought, ok, we can get through this. It was June before I finally got the surgery to fully repair my hip. Recovery was painful and challenging, but I did my exercises and tried to have a good attitude. It would really be fixed in 4 months and, finally, it would be back to everyday life.


 In the meantime, the knee replacement surgery I was booked for had been cancelled with no idea when it could be rebooked. We had believed that by the beginning of 2021 I would have the knee fixed, Covid would be under control, my savings account would have improved and we might even have a getaway trip with a few friends. That new knee and I would be hiking all over the place.


Unfortunately, in September, I fell at the cottage when my left knee collapsed and I landed on my left "Good Hip". It broke so badly that I needed an emergency replacement for that one too.


Hip Recovery has been slow, and my attitude could have been better. The Knee Replacement is on hold for now. Continuing close-downs with Covid and particularly harsh winter conditions have added to the stress, affected my recovery and resulted in nasty cabin fever for my family, but I think I see a glimmer of hope coming soon.


I will be back here next Sunday with a much happier and more positive post. Please check it out on February 6th!


3 comments:

Barb Polan said...

Oh, Linda, what a terrible, awful, very bad year! I hope your pain is under control. You're always so upbeat that it must have been horrendous for you to sound so low. 2020, 2021... I don't want to tempt Fate, but how many bad years can you have in a row?

I know you'll make it through this too—you ARE resilient and good-natured about all this medical stuff, far more than out fair share!

I DO have a suggestion re what you could do—write a book. You are so active for a SS, you might inspire someone to do more than they think possible.

Grace Carpenter said...

Ditto to everything Barb says.

I'm not very active on the blogosphere these days, but I'm always rooting for you!

Linda said...

Thank you to Barb and Grace for your kind words. I was listening to an online workshop this past week and the facilitator asked us to imagine what one word our friends and family might use to describe us. I knew immediately because of your comments and have been clinging ever since to the thought that I am Resilient! and Bonus.. Good-natured? I am not sure everyone would agree with that this year! lol

I do like the idea of a book and you just never know what I might get into next!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...