Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Thigh Bones Connected to the Knee Bone

The course we are on now is called Therapeutic Fitness or Fitness Leadership. This has involved trying to learn a whole lot of names of bones and muscles.  It also has involved learning the function or movement of this huge list of muscles or muscle systems.

We have had a couple days in the college gym where we were required to take part in some fitness activities. One day was working out with all the different fitness machines and equipment and another day we sat in a circle in this gym and worked on learning how to lead seated exercises for all the different muscles  and included the use of  dynabands and weights.
I can't say this has been my favorite week of school.

Tuesday will be the final theory exam (25%) for this particular course. Besides short answer we will have pictures of muscles and we will be expected to identify them, list the function and actions of the muscles and then give an example of an exercise that works on the muscle.  I have been staring at the teacher like he arrived from a different planet. Nothing  made a lot of sense to me but I am getting there very slowly.  I am now working hard on memorization if not comprehension.

Next week we will have to develop and hand in plans for group exercise classes for high, moderate and low functioning seniors. The moderate routine should last about 30 minutes. We will be divided into groups of 5 and each of us will have to lead the other 4 in our planned routine and we will be marked and critiqued on how well we do. (65%) On Friday we will be going to a seniors home and each of us will be given a small group of seniors to do our exercise class with. (10%)

I certainly don't qualify as high functioning myself so we will see how this week goes.  
 
Wish me lots of luck!!


The exam will be pictures like this without words.

Name of muscle: or muscle group:

Bicep Femoris   (hamstrings)    

 The actions:
  •  It extends the thigh at the hip joint, (your thigh can go behind you) 
  • flexes the leg at the knee (you can bend your knee) and
  • Assists in adduction of the thigh. (pulls your thigh inward toward the middle line of  your body

Possible exercises would include:
  • leg curls
  • squats
I should personally do a heck of a lot more squats and leg curls.






clipart girl image from classroomclipart.com


2 comments:

Barb Polan said...

you don't need luck. You know this stuff. Heck, you LIVE this.

Grace Carpenter said...

I was so sick of not understanding what my PT was saying, I got an anatomy coloring book. It's helped some, but the more I understand, the more I realize how complicated anatomy is!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...