Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Free Hat for Runners Today

I went this evening to watch my daughter participate in a 20 minute run at our local Running Room.  They probably had a hundred people show up for this  free event 20 minute challenge -- and for the free hat that was included with registration.
https://www.events.runningroom.com/site/index.php?lang=1&raceId=11029
Please visit the Running Room site for more info.

There was a 2 K walk/ run, a 3 K run or a 4 K run the people could choose from.  They got every one in into the parking lot for group pictures and then off the people went into the neighbourhood.  About 20 minutes later they returned looked a little the worse for running in the heat and humidity all claiming their nutritious snack bar and a bottle of water.

I liked that it was such a nice free event for adults of all ages and that there were lots of kids and a dog or two running with their families. What a wonderful way to enjoy healthy living as a family. Then there was the group of friends in their forties that I overheard planning what pub to meet at for a beer afterward. Think about the contrast between the wholesome snack bar and then beer time. I think it is awesome that a group of 6 or 7 friends would lace up their shoes and then go enjoy an evening together.  What great social support for an active lifestyle.

I sat and waited because I am having a lot of knee and hip issues. I chatted to a 66 year old man who was sitting it out because of  a sore leg from a run he had been in last week. The gentleman told me he has been a runner for 40 years and still going strong. He also shared some interesting info about the local orienteering association.  Orienteering is when you chase around a trail or in a community using a map and a compass to find a series of check points. I asked if they ever did accessible events or wheel chair programs. He said he has not seen that around here but had participated in one in Colorado years ago. I jokingly said maybe someday I will help get one going in our province. He said he and others in the association would be there to help me.  Who knows? Something else to think about!

2 comments:

Barb Polan said...

Orienteering around town in a wheelchair? I love that. Right up your alley. And I think a healthy snack bar and a beer sound perfect after a run.

Rebecca Dutton said...

You have accomplished so much since I started reading your blog. I know you will find a new path forward. Enjoy your vacation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...