Thursday, June 7, 2018

Staples are Gone!

I got the staples from my hip replacement out yesterday.  

I just couldn't make myself look under that bandage but Bob, my husband, was with me and counted them as they came out. 30! It was uncomfortable but over quickly. I am so glad to not be sitting down on those sharp little bits anymore. It is pretty darn tender there, between the tiny holes from the staples prongs and the incision site, but it is healing really well. Two more days and I can remove the dressing and have a shower! Yes! I do want to have a shower from a hygienic point because sponge baths only go so far but I am really very sore all over and would love to have a hot shower to relax some of my other stiff muscles especially in my neck and back.

After the Technician removed the staples I got to speak to the Surgeon. I am doing well in all ways. We reviewed my movement, looked for swelling in my leg and talked about how medications were going at home. I asked him to fill in a form for work and he says return to work at 3 months and at this time anyway, he is not in favour of an earlier return on modified duty. He stressed the importance of walking a little bit at a time but frequently. I asked him again about my knees and If I should go back to my sports medicine / orthopedic doctor. I told him my left knee was at that moment hurting more than the surgical hip. He said we should do x rays of hip and both knees at the follow-up appointment I will have with him in 6 weeks.

It was actually quite the little hike around in the hospital for me and my walker to get to the Orthopedic Clinic. I got home beyond tired and laid down for hours. I sure don't have a lot of stamina back yet.

I am happy that I am indeed making progress!

1 comment:

Rebecca Dutton said...

I will never forget how wonderful it felt to feel warm water flow down my back during my 1st shower after my stroke. Glad things are progressing as the surgeon expected.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...