Sunday, June 14, 2020

Do you Drink Enough Fluids? Make it Fun!

Taking Care of Yourself Sundays

It is starting to get hot up here in Manitoba, and I need to remember to drink more water or other non-caffeinated beverages. Many recreation departments for sports, seniors group and kids' events have instituted "Hydration breaks" as part of their programs.  It is especially important if you are outside in the heat or exerting yourself. 

Now, why do you want to make a point of drinking water? People don't always seem aware of being dehydrated, and we as a species need water to keep our bodies operating optimally. Sometimes things like headaches and exhaustion, muscle cramps, kidney stones, constipation, dry skin and a host of other issues can be helped by simply drinking more frequently. 

The old adage was that you should have about 8 cups of water a day. For most people, this is a good starting point, but realistically a bigger person will need more fluids than a smaller person and an active person more than someone who is sedentary. It is not a one size fits all kind of suggestion.  I suggest taking a look at how much you are drinking right now and then try adding more each day and seeing how you feel with each increase.

Does it need to be water? I think water is best, but certainly, you should look at what you will actually choose to drink and feel happy about and therefore actually drink enough. Certain beverages might have additional benefits. Think of all the vitamins and goodness in a glass of orange juice! If you are very active you might want an electrolyte added drink like a sports drink. In Canada, our milk is fortified with vitamin D, which is very important since we spend our cold winters never getting enough sunshine to produce vitamin D naturally. There are many kinds of teas that are beneficial and delicious.  I love some of the fruity natural teas and my daughter, Alicia,  loves trying different teas all the time. You will want to watch how much caffeine and other ingredients are in your beverages. Sometimes the ingredients and amounts can surprise you, so always read the labels. 

Now, what can we do to make drinking enough fluids a nice experience?

A few weeks ago I sat down beside an elderly lady while she ate her lunch. I commented on how the staff know to bring her a glass to tomato juice with each meal and how she must really like tomato juice. I told her that I like it too but rarely have any. She asked me, "Why on Earth don't you drink it if you like it."?  I was a bit flustered and answered that I was the only one in the family that liked it, so I rarely bought it. She stared at me said that was not a good enough reason.  I fumbled that I would never use up the whole can and would be pouring some of it down the drain when it went bad. She told me in no uncertain terms that tomato juice does come in small cans and that I should go to the store. Yup, I did what I was told and got myself a pack of small tomato juice cans! 

This lovely lady really pointed out to me that I was just making excuses. If I know something is good for me: if  I know it is something I want, why was I putting up barriers instead of finding solutions?


What will make drinking your water or other healthy beverages easier for you?

The trick with any new habit is making it more convenient or more memorable and more appealing and fun. Here are some suggestions.
  • Try filling a water pitcher in the fridge with the water you want to drink for the day and then you don't need to measure every cup 
  • Get yourself a nice water bottle to carry around with you. They are easy to pack and avoid spills.
  • Use nice glasses or cups that make you happy. Dig out a favourite cup that is cute or perhaps has a favourite saying on it.  How about a vintage teacup and saucer. I like drinking water out of an old cut glass piece. My friend likes using a canning jar.
  • Icecubes can make a drink cooler and lovely to drink on a hot day. The temperature of a beverage can affect tastes too.
  • Icecube trays come in fancy shapes that add to the fun. Your ice cubes can be frozen juice cubes that will flavour your water and add a touch of colour.
  • Add some frozen fruit pieces or add lemon slices to perk up your beverage. I love raspberries floating in my water!
  • .I am not beyond adding a decorative slice of fruit or a little paper umbrella like you see on fancy cocktails. Why not?
  • If your local water has a taste you don't like, consider getting a filtering system like a Brita or one the many others out there. Bottled water has its place, but please be aware of our environment when making purchases..


                       Wishing you a peaceful and healthy life!

1 comment:

Rebecca Dutton said...

I live alone so I never use every lemon slice before they go bad. Thanks for the suggestion to freeze them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...