Friday, October 20, 2023

Returning to Work After Knee Replacement


I have been back at work for a month now.  I am officially on modified duties at my part-time job as a Recreation Facilitator in a long-term care home.  Over the years, I have had so many health issues that the tasks I do at work are usually a little lighter duty from a physical point of view.  My favourite activities to run at work reflect my personal interests. I love art and food programs, and I particularly enjoy leading reminiscence, discussion, and sensory-based programs. The younger coworkers take on the physical programs such as bowling, exercise programs, and adapted sports. For me it is also about bingo, movies, and parties.

This time, the plan was for me to return to short 4-hour shifts for a couple of months while I continue to heal and hopefully build up more stamina.  I will be back to my normal shifts in 4 weeks and no longer have any modifications other than avoiding the stairs.  I really depend on the elevator in my 9-story workplace!

 Let me tell you- this knee replacement has taken a toll on my energy, and it challenges my sleep and pain management.  I am at five months post left knee replacement now, and I walk and move well, and my leg feels very stable.  I don't have that sharp pain anymore, but I do have a lot of soreness and moderate pain most of the time. One tricky thing is that my knee was so bad that my leg was bowing out as the joint was collapsing. My body tried to adjust to that bad arthritic knee and changed to compensate.  Now that my leg is suddenly straight, everything needs to shift back again so my leg muscles and other knee are struggling.  My ankles aren't too happy either.

I am still doing my physio exercises, I am back in the pool attending a water based arthritis program, my daughters go on walks with me, and my job is also part of my therapy. I move around in so many different ways at work that it can't help but strengthen many muscles. By the time I get home, I'm exhausted but it is getting a bit easier as the weeks go by. I sometimes  get questioned about why I want to keep working at my job and doing the other things I struggle to do. I could retire at this point, and believe me, I have thought about doing just that. It sure would be easier to hang out at home than struggle to reclaim my ability to work.

Not long ago, I had a conversation with a person who is living with severe limitations related to her health. She told me that we need to realize life can go wrong and that we need to accept our lot in life. She has access to physical therapy but says she doesn't do the exercises because there is no point. She is making that choice.

 I choose to keep moving forward.  There are days when I pout or even cry. Maybe I choose to curl up in bed and watch a romance movie that is guaranteed to end happily. Then I remember that there are things I like to do and I still want to have new experiences.  I pout a little longer while planning how to move forward.  Next I get on with it and start to build toward my goals.

Should we accept our lot in life?  Instead, how about reaching out and taking steps to achieve what you can and make the best you can of your life?

How can you possibly know what you are truly capable of unless you choose to take action and then put real effort into finding out what you can achieve?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...