Thursday, May 24, 2018

Ready or Not?


My hip replacement surgery is in about 12 hours.

I sure don't feel ready for this experience but I think I have done all I can to prepare.  I am at the point now where this just needs to be over with and the pre-surgery anxiety a thing of the past. My plan is to focus on how good I will be doing by the Fall.

There is a lot of preparation before having hip surgery.

This part of the journey started when the sports medicine physician looked at X-rays of my knees and hip and said it was time and sent off a referral for surgery. I have gone to 8 appointments at the hip clinic experts, one appointment with the surgeon, one pre-op physical with my family doctor, and finally, a hospital preop visit that involved separate appointments with the anesthetist, physiotherapist, occupational therapist and the nurse,

I was supposed to try and lose some weight and do leg strengthening exercises. I admit I might not have been the shining example in this category but I made a good try.

Next comes the practical things that needed to change

The hip replacement comes with a whole lot of restrictions after surgery that last for about 3 months You can't bend past 90 degrees at the hip, you can't cross your legs and all.- not even at the ankles! 

Vehicle.  We needed to replace our car anyway so we went on a hunt for the easiest vehicle for someone to get in and out of with a sore leg.  Goodbye SUV Explorer and welcome home to our new to us 2009 Flex.

Reclining Chair. Just about every chair in our house has me sitting with greater than the 90-degree bend. We thought about putting blocks under the legs to lift it higher but decided it was okay to just order a new reclining chair from La-z-boy.
new bed

Walker. Yes, I will need a walker. I got rid of my previous one saying I won't need this again! ha.

Reacher Stick. Best purchase. I find it helpful and my 7-year-old grandson thinks it is the best toy ever.

Clothing Assist Stick, Long Shoehorn  There is just no bending over to pull up my big girl panties, or put on shoes so you need tools.


Raised Toilet Seat. It actually has helped a lot with the pain already. It turns out our toilet seat was exceptionally low.

Rent a Shower Seat. It is not reasonable to just step in the tub apparently

Slippers.  They must have closed back, no skid soles and be slip on. The only ones that fit me were expensive and not pretty.


Pack a Bag. This one is a bit minimalist, with a housecoat, toothbrush and clothes to go home in. If I need anything, my family will bring it for me.

Please keep me in your prayers and good thoughts.


2 comments:

Rebecca Dutton said...

In the U.S. civic groups like the Lions Club collect adaptive equipment to loan to people. Anything that reduces my fear of falling is valuable.

Denise said...

Best of luck and I hope the outcome is better than you even hoped!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...