Sunday, September 9, 2018

It has Been a Difficult Summer

I am not totally sure why I haven't posted. I think I just got overwhelmed and rather depressed post surgery and through the recovery.

I had a set back in my recovery from the hip replacement a day or so after my last post.
It would be considered a soft tissue injury but basically I had a lot of swelling in my leg and probably tore internal stitches but I really didn't do anything to over-stretch or move in an inappropriate way. I had a huge lump form below the incision with a lot of swelling followed by massive bruising. Worst was my leg hurt a lot and really just would not work. My hamstring and my glute were both involved so it was a huge step backward with me back on bed rest and using a walker. I never did get back to the hip rehab programs but instead when to a physiotherapist for the muscle problems.

My knee is still a huge problem and I talked to the surgeon about that. I qualify for a knee replacement and could have been placed on a waiting list, but he suggested we again try all the other methods for pain control that I have done in the past, but that with the hip realigned I might have some better success and treatments might last a little longer. He suggested that the surgery and recovery are much harder for a knee replacement and it would be a good idea to not rush from one surgery on top of another and give lots of time to fully recuperate.
My back is pretty sore too. I guess I have been compensating when I walk for so long (for one reason or another)r that suddenly having the hip fixed forces everything else to change yet again.

Summer has been pretty boring for the most part. I tried to do bits of activities but did not last very long.  I did not get out to the lake until basically the last weekend in July and it turned into a pretty hard to manage weekend but I do love being at the lake.

I am supposed to be returning to work this coming week and I am not sure how I feel about it. In some ways I am delighted because I do love my job and miss the residents and my coworkers and all the fun we have. At the same time I want to be physically able to do a good job and not be in pain myself. For the next month I will be returning with shorter work days and with some movement restrictions such as not standing for more than half an hour and not lifting or pushing items over 10 pounds.

I keep thinking "What the heck happened to summer?" however I have been enjoying a beautiful early fall at the lake and doing the odd crafty thing during the past couple of weeks.  I have signed up for Arthritis water therapy classes at the public pool for the fall and Girl Guides starts up next week.

Life continues.

1 comment:

Rebecca Dutton said...

I am sorry to her your news. When I moaned about a set back to my PT she said they happen all the time. Fortunately I was able to use a calm, matter-of-fact tone of voice when I said "you can say that becomes it is not happening to you." It took a stroke to teach me that rehab requires heroic levels of mental and emotionmal stamina. Keep us posted when you can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...