Saturday, September 29, 2018

What is on your Fall Bucket List?



September 21st was the first day of Fall and I was having dreams of crisp weather with me on the porch in a nice cuddly sweater. I live in Winnipeg Canada and guess what? It snowed! It only lasted for a couple hours but it sure was a wake-up call that Winter is just around the corner and we need to enjoy Fall while we can.
I love making plans and goal setting because it encourages me to get more done and to do new, different and interesting things. Since I love all sorts of activities it is not a surprise that the Fall bucket lists that are all over the internet absolutely get my imagination racing.
I needed to make a list of the things that I want to try this Fall.
Why would I need a list? When I look at my own list I can remember to try it and I can prioritize my fun and adventures. A list acts as a reminder of all the fun ideas that caught my eye and it also helps me watch for those opportunities when they present themselves. Perhaps I might even need to budget for it. Once I have made that list I start to see coupons, adds and stories about the different fall experiences.  I can make notes of where I can go to do these things or how to do them at home if I don't already know how. It lets me get all those fun materials, ingredients and resources together too.  I might even be able to convince some friends or family to join me!
I must admit I love checking things off lists.
I use the various lists I have found on Pinterest to make my own.  You can find lists for couples, young families or teenagers. There are personal achievement-based lists. There are silly lists. I see lots of bucket list items that appeal to me, but for some of them I do realize that particular ship has sailed. Hike the Trans Canada Trail is SOOO appealing to me but I am barely managing a hike through Wal-Mart these days. Practicality needs to be a part of my plan. A Fall trip to stay in a Bed and Breakfast in Vermont sounds awesome, as does Octoberfest in Germany but  it is certainly not in my budget for this year or next year. Besides all my vacation time was used up as part of my work absence for the Hip Replacement Surgery and recovery. 

Why these Seasonal Lists useful tools for Recreation Professionals?
Recreation Therapists must plan their month long in advance. We have to try and catch the interests and needs of the individual but we also try and carry out many programs as groups  Seasonal Bucket lists are almost like a shopping list of popular ideas. Now that doesn't mean that we are going to set up a tub for 90-year-olds to go bobbing for apples but perhaps seeing that item on a list might make us think of doing a reminiscence activity. Perhaps we can find some vintage pictures of bobbing for apples or other Party activities. Perhaps we will arrange to have some school children have a party with us. 
These lists are especially good for my Girl Guide unit too. So many of these items are perfect for the girls' outings or activities. We are all about fun and these projects are just what the girls need to make plans, show leadership and allow them to choose what is of interest to them!

My Top 25 Bucket List Ideas
  • I plan on going for a drive in the country
  • Taking fall pictures in the country
  • Visit a corn maze with Girl Guides 
  • Harvest herbs
  • Plant bulbs for spring flowers
  • Sow wildflower seeds
  • Decorate the house with mums  and Fall touches.
  • Crochet an orange scarf
  • Make scarecrow crafts
  • Buy Fall candles
  • Make a Thanksgiving centrepiece
  • Go to a paint night with my daughters
  • Sell Chocolate Mint Cookes with my Girl Guide Unit
  • Leathercraft leaf project
  • Give myself a fall coloured manicure
  • Buy new shirts for fall
  • Pumpkin pies
  • Pumpkin dip
  • Leaf shaped cookies
  • Crockpot apple cider
  • Hot chocolate by the fireplace at the lake
  • Make smores
  • Apple crisp
  • Cook some banana, pumpkin and carrot cake loaves for sharing
  • Purchase a pumpkin spice "something or others" at a coffee shop
I will try and report back about some of these items and we will see how many of these I actually manage to do! Maybe I will take advantage of other fun opportunities that we come across. List are a great framework but spontienaty is where some so the excitement comes from.

Do you have plans for any Fall projects or adventures?

3 comments:

Rebecca Dutton said...

I make a "I WANT TO" list in addition to a "I should do" list. The bad part of retirement is that I can always do it tomorrow and then I miss things I would enjoy.

Linda said...

Rebecca.. join me in trying to get some of those WANT TO items done this fall!
You could post on your blog or comment or even guest post here!

Kathy said...

That is a great list!👍🏻

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...