Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Making Sourdougn Bread is Easy?

My daughter Emily and I began a couple of sourdough starters yesterday. I have used sourdough in the past, and Elizabeth, our eldest daughter, has kept her own starter alive for almost two years now. I'm already dreaming about all the wonderful things we can try baking in the next tew weeks.

I looked up Sourdough on Wikipedia, just in case you are not sure what makes it special.

Sourdough bread is made by the fermentation of dough using naturally occurring lactobacilli and yeasts. Sourdough Bread has a more sour taste and better inherent keeping qualities than bread made with baker's yeast, due to the lactic acid produced by lactobacilli.

Sourdough seems like the COVID 19 project of the month according to social media, so we decided to join in too. Emily wanted to try the "Wild Method" to make a starter. That means you use flour of some sort and add water and wait to see if wild yeast that is naturally occurring on the flour or maybe even in the air can start to grow. That is how you develop a local sourdough kind of like San Francisco sourdough because of the specific wild yeasts and lactobacilli in that environment. I wanted to go with the lazy method of adding a package of yeast, so I knew how much was in there and can expect faster results.  We are trying both ways.

My first sourdough ever began with a starter gifted to me around 1981 when I was a new mommy and all into healthy foods for baby and family. My starter came with the name Herman. There have been a few more Hermans since then who met unfortunate ends, but I am more than ready to try again with "Herman the 5th". I asked my daughters what they wanted to name their starters, but they seem to think that naming them is unnecessary and perhaps a touch odd.  Oh well.

There are tons of different Pinterest links on how to do sourdough starters, so you can easily find directions that will work for you, but the following is what we did for Day 1.

We carefully cleaned our glass containers.  It needs to be a container that is made of glass, ceramic or plastic. A lid is a good idea, but if not, you will need something like plastic wrap or waxed fabric to cover it over with.

Emily placed about a cup of warm water and a cup of regular flour in her jar and then put it in a warm spot covered loosely.

My jar was bigger than Emily's, so I doubled it up and used 2 cups of lukewarm water and added one packet of quick rise yeast that I had stored in my freezer. I let that sit and soften for about 10 minutes then gradually added ½ cup whole wheat flour and 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour. I stirred this around until it was kind of thick like a pancake batter. Cover the jar tightly and put my "Herman" starter on the counter next to the "Wild One."

Tomorrow, Day 2, calls for us to remove half of our starter mix and dispose of it. We will then add half of the original amount of flour and water. I will then add a cup of flour and a cup of lukewarm water, mix thoroughly and cover and put it back on the counter until Day 3!

I will keep you updated on our progress.


Have you ever had a sourdough starter?

How about Bread Baking? Is baking bread a skill you have mastered or maybe you have fond memories of your grandma baking a loaf for dinner?


6 comments:

Steve Lovett said...

Hi Linda..... My mom always made homemade bread on the weekends growing up in Winnipeg, but she was also a working mom, and the bread was so good it didn't last very long... We relied on the day old bread from the local bakery. As one of my teen jobs at a grocery store, I made about 200 loaves a day with the industrial equipment and it came out very good. Today I have honed the recipe to 2 loaves and only keep one for ourselves and give the other to one of our neighbors. After all, it is the staff of life.... You have an awesome blog, keep up the good work.

Rebecca Dutton said...

I made sour dough bread as a young wife in 1968. It is delicious so I know you will enjoy eating it.

Linda said...

Hi Steve! Thanks for saying nice things about my blog. It means more to me than you know.

I have seen some of your bread baking accomplishments on Facebook. How nice of you to share with your neighbours. It is funny how we have had periods in our lives when bread baking becomes part of our routine. My husband took up bread baking when the kids were elementary school age and he tried everything out, he read all there was to read on the topic and I thought he might turn into a chemist! lol

Cross your fingers for my sourdough. Emily's no yeast added version is shooting way ahead of mine for growth and it is only day 3! lol

Linda said...

Rebecca, I think the whole bread and baking during this Self Isolation period is very significant. I think staying home, nurturing, changes in the phase of life or location, maybe concern about food shortages all tie together. I remember those baby days and being tired and stuck home more than I wanted yet basically nesting and trying to develop new skills.

Mindy-Jean said...

Linda, scientist's have proven names do affect chance's of success in children, so why not sourdough? Lol I will name my starters for now on! If anything maybe it will motivate me to feed it when I'm feeling so ill on a particular day.
I began sourdough not knowing it was a trend during isolation. I absolutely agree nurturing the ppl we love is a great way to pass the time alone or together.

Linda said...

Mindy! So fun to hear you are growing sourdough too. You will have to keep us updated on yours. I am not totally trusting ours yet but we are having fun with it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...