Wednesday, April 8, 2020

There is Muffin Batter in my Fridge!

I worked this past weekend, and when I came home on Sunday night, I basically retreated to my room immediately after dinner because I was feeling completely drained and pretty stiff and sore. I had no energy left for anything. That night my daughter, Emily, made up the 6 Week Refrigerator Muffin batter, and I never even realized that she was doing it. Monday morning, I woke up to the wonderful smell of baking drifting down the hall. I was so surprised and happy that she made them for us, and it lifted my spirits. It was such a thoughtful, and yummy breakfast served along with some juice.

Years ago, when my kids were babies, I used to make a lot of basic food like yogurt, bread, ice cream and jams. One of our most useful and favourite recipes was the one for 6 Week Refrigerator Muffins. It is a pretty basic muffin recipe but made easier by using raisin bran cereal and buttermilk. The muffin batter fits in a plastic ice cream pail, and you can simply scoop out as much as you need for fresh hot muffins when you have a guest or just want a treat. I was a little suspicious back then that it wouldn't be good for 6 whole weeks, and I still can't answer that question because the stuff never lasts that long in our fridge without getting baked! 

During this period of social (physical) distancing, many of us have more time to bake and learn new skills. Still, we are finding that stress and uncertainty kind of sneak up on us, and focusing and being productive can become challenging from time to time. We want to make things fun, we want to eat healthily, but that can be hard to coordinate when shopping is challenging, and our family's daily routine is so disrupted. No one should feel bad about having off days when you just don't care if the dinner plan suddenly turns into a sandwich. Nor should they worry about trying to keep up with the elaborate activities friends are sharing on Instagram. 

(yes grin - I absolutely plan to put this pic of Jasper Dog looking lovingly at muffins on Instagram)

This batter has been a shortcut for me. It is a way of doing something one day to have something special and easy to use on another day when maybe life isn't going as planned.
It doesn't have to be my muffin recipe (though I bet you really would like it) It might be a frozen meal that someone else can pop in the microwave. Perhaps it could be forgetting about the dirty dishes and cuddling up and watching a feel-good movie with someone you love.

Just let go. Have some nice surprises ready for when you really need them and most of all, be kind to yourself.

Here ya go. The muffin recipe.


6-Week Raisin Bran Refrigerator Muffins


 Ingredients:

  • 4 eggs
  • 3 cups sugar 
  • 4 cups buttermilk
  • 6 cups bran flake cereal 
  • 5 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 5 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup oil


Method:

  • Beat the sugar and eggs in your very large mixing bowl 
  • stir in buttermilk, cereal flour, baking soda, salt and oil and mix  
  • put in a storage container with a lid and keep in the fridge for up to 6 weeks

  •  to bake anytime:pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees 
  • put scoops of the batter into greased muffin 
  • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of your muffin or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. 

Notes:
It is essential to use the buttermilk, soda and sugar and oil as directed in order for it to last in your fridge.

The traditional cereal is a raisin bran style cereal, but there are now a lot of other bran flake style cereals out there with goodies like dried strawberries or almonds that I think would be a delicious option.











6 comments:

Rebecca Dutton said...

I smiled repeatedly while reading this post. Thanks.

Linda said...

I'm so glad you smiled! I did like writing about those muffins. It brought me lots of wonderful memories, just thinking about them and hopefully, there was a little advice in there for making the best we can in a difficult time.

Mindy-Jean said...

I loved reading this post! Yesterday, I made pumpkin muffins. I'm looking forward to using this recipe. They look really good. Did you use a large not regular muffin tin?
Jasper is adorable with those muffins. What a wonderful snapshot!

Barb Polan said...

What a good idea! Thanks!

Linda said...

Hello Mindy-Jean! It's been a long time since we have gotten together and I guess it will still be a while! Pumpkin muffins would be yummy. I am using a regular-sized muffin tin, probably it was just how close I took the picture. Jasper is very photogenic, always curious and always in the middle of the action! I think now that I am going to be blogging more regularly he will get to star in lots of my posts.

Linda said...

Thanks, Barb! I am sure you would like it if you tried it. That b.atter can be frozen too for even longer use.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...